WHAT RIGHTS DO WOMEN – MARRIED OR SINGLE- HAVE?
• Women have a right to acquire and own land whether individually or as a group.
• Daughters have the right to inherit their parents’ land and property.
• Women have a right to be elected and or appointed into land governance institutions.
• Married women have the right to joint ownership of land and property acquired during marriage.
• Married women have the right to transact on land in consultation with their husbands and vice versa.
• Widows have the right to inherit their deceased husband’s land and property.
WHAT HAPPENS IN CASE OF DIVORCE?
The spouse will not only share benefit but liabilities on the matrimonial property.
WHAT DOES THE SPOUSE LIABILITY LAW STATE?
Any liability incurred by a spouse before the marriage and relating to the property shall, after marriage, remain the liability of the spouse who incurred it. If the property becomes matrimonial then it shall be equally shared by the spouses and unless they otherwise agreed .The law states that parties to marriage shall equally share the liability incurred during the subsistence of the marriage for the benefit of the marriage or reasonable and justifiable expenses incurred for the benefit of marriage.
WHAT HAPPENS WHERE A HUSBAND OR WIFE HAS ACQUIRED PROPERTY BEFORE OR DURING MARRIAGE WHICH DOES NOT BECOME A MATRIMONIAL PROPERTY?
The husband or wife may acquire beneficial interests that are equal to the amount of contribution made by the spouse.
wordpress theme jazzsurf.com