you can now move funds between your PayPal and M-PESA accounts.
What is the PayPal Mobile Money Service with M-PESA?
This is a money transfer service for PayPal and M-PESA customers, enabling joint customers to move funds between their own accounts. The service is provided by TransferTo in partnership with Safaricom and PayPal.
Who operates the service?
The Service is operated by TransferTo in cooperation with PayPal and Safaricom. TransferTo is a B2B mobile payment network connecting financial institutions and mobile operators globally.
Can I use this service?
To qualify, you must have an eligible Kenyan PayPal and M-PESA account.
Do I have to create an account to use this service?
In order to use the PayPal Mobile Money Service with M-PESA, you need to have a qualifying Kenyan PayPal and M-PESA account. When registering to use this service, you’ll then link your two accounts and will be able to move your money from one to the other.
How do I create a PayPal account?
Sign up for a PayPal account at paypal.com/ke and follow the steps to complete registration. While signing up requires adding card details, the account will still be created even if you don’t add a card. To finish setting up your PayPal account, simply click on the PayPal logo at the top left or click on the link in the email from PayPal to confirm your email address.
How can I create an M-PESA account?
You can register for M-PESA at any M-PESA agent outlet across Kenya.
How do I register for this service?
- Log in with your PayPal login details (email and password).
- Enter your M-PESA account phone number.
- After submitting your account details, TransferTo, on behalf of M-PESA, will send you a 4-digit verification code to the mobile number associated with your M-PESA account.
- Please enter the code to confirm and complete the account linkage.
- That’s it! Next time you can log in directly with your PayPal email and password and get started.
How do I withdraw money from PayPal to my M-PESA account?
- After completing the registration, click “Withdraw”.
- Your available balance will be displayed. You will only be able to withdraw money up to the available USD balance shown in your PayPal account. If you hold a balance in your PayPal account in a different currency, please log in to your PayPal account at paypal.com/ke and convert the money into USD.
- Enter the amount you would like to withdraw from your PayPal account in USD.
- You will be redirected to a page showing the amount to be received in KES, the exchange rate used for the currency conversion, and the estimated transaction processing time.
- Confirm and complete the withdrawal of funds.
How do I top up my PayPal account using my M-PESA balance?
- After completing the registration, click “Top Up”.
- Enter the amount you would like to top up in USD and click “Calculate” to get the equivalent amount converted in KES. This is the KES amount you need to transfer from your M-PESA account. The exchange rate used will be displayed on the same page.
- Go to your M-PESA menu and select “Lipa na M-PESA” then the “Pay Bill” option.
- Enter Business Number 800088.
- Enter your phone number as the Account Number.
- Enter your M-PESA PIN and click “Send”.
- Use your newly topped up balance to easily and more securely shop online or send payments with PayPal.
Can I send money to someone else?
Both PayPal and M-PESA accounts must be held in the same name and you can move money between your accounts. The service does not support money transfers between different people.
Which browser can I use to access the service?
To access the PayPal Mobile Money Service with M-PESA you need to use one of the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer version 9 and later
- Chrome version 27 and later
- Firefox version 30 and later
- Safari version 5.1 and later
- Opera version 23 and later
What charges apply for using this service?
We will charge you a fee when you top up or withdraw funds.
- For withdrawals: you will be charged a 3% conversion fee of the amount withdrawn.
- For topping up: you will be charged a 4% conversion fee of the amount topped up. Regular M-PESA charges apply to all other transactions (M-PESA will charge you a customer to business paybill charge as detailed in the Terms and Conditions).
Can I top up and withdraw funds into any currency?
With PayPal, you can top up and withdraw funds in USD only; you can manage your M-PESA account in KES only. If you have multiple currencies in your PayPal account, you will need to convert those funds into USD if you wish to withdraw the PayPal balance to your M-PESA account. To convert the funds, go to your “Manage Currencies” section in your PayPal account.
Where can I see the exchange rate that applies on my transactions?
- For withdrawals: the exchange rate will appear before confirming the transaction.
- For top ups: the exchange rate appears when using the calculator at the bottom of the top up page.
How long does it take to transfer the money?
- For withdrawals: after you have confirmed the transaction, it takes between 2 hours to 3 calendar days to process a withdrawal from your PayPal account to your M-PESA account, depending on the transaction value. The estimated time will be presented to you before confirming the transaction.
- For top ups: Top Ups to your PayPal account will generally be processed in real time, but may take up to 4 hours. If your PayPal balance is not in USD, you will need to log in to your PayPal account to confirm the top up request.
How do I know when the funds have been credited to my account?
You will receive a confirmation text from M-PESA and an email from PayPal. You can also check the status of the transaction in the Transaction History page.
What are the daily transaction limits?
Transactions are subject to the daily limits as set by PayPal and M-PESA.
Current M-PESA transaction limits apply (70,000 KES per transaction and 140,000 KES per day).
Can I cancel a transaction I’ve made?
Unfortunately, once you’ve confirmed a top up or withdrawal, you won’t be able to stop or reverse it. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more information.
How do I look for previous transactions?
Go to the Transaction History page or log in to your PayPal account.
I haven’t received the funds in my account.
If after the estimated processing time and you haven’t received the funds in your account, you can get in touch with us. Please include the transaction ID and your email address and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Your transaction ID can be found under Transaction History.I can’t link my accounts.
If you have a problem linking your PayPal and M-PESA accounts, please contact us.
PayPal and M-PESA account management
M-PESA and PayPal accounts are not administered by TransferTo. Accordingly, we can not provide you with an M-PESA or PayPal account transaction history.
Getting in touch
Got a question regarding your top up or withdrawal? We can help! Just send us your question through this Contact Us page. Please contact PayPal or M-PESA directly if you have any specific account related queries.
wordpress theme jazzsurf.com