5 Steps How to Calculate Quantity for Paint.
- First, assess the size of the area that you’re painting. Grab a friend to help measure the width and height of walls with a metal tape measure and multiply these together to calculate the overall square metre measurement.
- Subtract the space used by windows and doors using the same calculation method as above, and remove these from your overall square metre measurement.
- Multiply your new total square metre measurement by the number of coats you’ll need – we recommend factoring in at least two coats. It’s also worth including a little extra paint for touch ups.
- Finally, divide this total figure by the m²/l number on your paint tin (if you can’t see it on the tin, have a look online at the product information section). This will give you the total litres of paint you need for your project.
- Don’t forget, the type of paint will make a difference and so will the manufacturer. When you use higher quality paint, you’ll notice that you use less paint to get a great result. Less paint equals a happier atmosphere – and a beautiful finish for you.